Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Prisoners Among Us

We are living in a machine age. Its astonishing to see how much man has progressed. Sky scrapers have replaced caves. Animal skin and leaves are out, Dolce & Gabbana is in. Cars have freed animals from their slavery, in most parts. Whether its technology or medicine, things have developed by leaps and bounds. Women are walking shoulder to shoulder with men.I have heard the phrase "equality for all" so many times. But have we really progressed? Or is it just an illusion?

A few days ago I met up with a friend of mine who is committed to a wonderful girl. At one point he mentioned that she wanted to work so she can get experience and he gave her an idea about how she can do it at home if she wanted to. Which seemed reasonable. So I asked him that were they gonna open an office in their home after they get married so she can work? To which he replies, "Are you crazy? I wont let her work after marriage." I asked him why not, if she was working from home. He says, "She should stay at home and raise our children. I want them to have a good up-bringing."


Every Ramadan, my old school organizes a cricket tournament which is open for all and lasts the whole month. I, not being into sports at all, dont bother going. One day the girlfriend of another guy I know informed him that she is going to the tournament with her friends. She knew that the crowd isnt too good over there so she wanted my friend to come along as well. He got super pissed that she decided herself to go there saying things like "I'll break her license!!" It seemed like he wanted her to do exactly what he says. Like a cute, well-trained pet.

Some time ago I came a cross a very weird piece of information. Women in Saudi Arab are not allowed to drive cars. Only men can get licenses in Saudi Arab. Now I dunno if the rule applies throughout the country or just some parts of it. But even if it is some parts, I really dont understand the point of it. If someone is a single mother, then what does she do? Or if there is an emergency and all the men are out, then what?


Every guy has a picture of the girl he would like to marry in the future. She is perfect in every sense. But how many of these men themselves are perfect? If a man has many affairs, he is called a stud whereas a girl would be labeled slut. No matter how many relations we have had in the past, we want our wives to be completely "pure" and untouched. Hell some guys cant even tolerate it if their girlfriends talk to other guys. What logic is this??  It seems like all men want to do is control women. Tell them what to do and what not to do, how to sit, whom to talk to, where to go, what to wear etc.

I saw this pic of Heather Morris depicting violence against women. I was reading the comments from people to see the general reaction. One particular comment caught my eye.

 " She looks like my woman when I come home from work and dinner isnt on the table."

Man has made a lot of progress. We have branded clothes, cars, nice jobs, awesome houses. But the hypocrisy and the misogynist attitude is still there in many men.

2 comments:

  1. I was shocked to see Heather's picture here...thank God u mentioned it was just some campaign shot. Whew!

    Even I do not get this who wave of 'owning' partners...it's not just heterosexuals who are riding this wave..bt just about every relation is now a struggle of dominating the other person.

    Anyhow i'm glad there are still free thinkers like you...now only if a few like u could be straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess, we have not grown up still.
    And if am just wondering if, our society as a whole has not accepted equality of women, then topics like gay are definitely million light years away. And we say we are making progress.

    A slight change of mentality is what its required, but will that ever happen? Time will only tell. But of course there is Hope in each of Us

    ReplyDelete