Saturday, January 29, 2011

Islam, Homosexuality & Questions

This topic has been in my head ever since I started this blog. But somehow I kept on delaying letting it out. But I cant anymore coz it keeps poking me everyday. I am not going to preach in this post. I am not that person. I will however discuss a few things regarding Islam and homosexuality.


I have always been religious, God fearing. Its not something my parents drilled into my head coz if that were the case, my brother and sister would also be like me. It was something natural for me. I had always heard that having sex with someone who isnt your wife is a big sin. But that wasnt enough for me. So one day I surfed the web to find out what Islam actually says about homosexuality. What I found really shockd and terrified me. In the Quran there is mostly one reference to homosexuality which was practice by the people of Lot. These are the verses I found out:



"We also sent Lut : He said to his people : "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." Qur'an 7:80-81


"What! Of all creatures do ye come unto the males, and leave the wives your Lord created for you? Nay, but ye are forward folk." Qur'an 26:165


Examples of the Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad ) regarding homosexuality are:



"When a man mounts another man, the throne of God shakes."


"Kill the one that is doing it and also kill the one that it is being done to." (in reference to the active and passive partners in gay sexual intercourse)


There is at least one mention of lesbian behavior mentioned in the Hadith: "Sihaq (lesbian sexual activity) of women is zina (illegitimate sexual intercourse) among them.


There is a lot more but I cant add it all here. You can read the enitre article on this website: "http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/homosexuality.htm"


Reading all this scared the crap outta me. Since then I have been trying to abstain from sex. Coz its been clearly said that anal sex make God major angry. But there are so many levels of sex. What is punishable and what is not? Kissing, foreplay, oral. What about jacking off? Are these as punishable as much as anal? What about if a guy marries another guy. Is it ok then? Is gay marriage even allowed? So many questions. But no answers. People say dont mix sex with religion. Being a Muslim and keeping these two things apart isnt an easy job peeps.




Another question that keeps popping in my head is that are all these scriptures genuine?Isnt it possible that the wordings might have changed or the interpretations misinterpreted? From what I understand, people of Lot chose to have sex with men instead of women. But gay people dont CHOOSE to be gay. Thats how God made them. So is it the same as people of Lot? Recently I came across this website about an Al-Fatiha group that apparently promotes a modern Islam which accepts gay people. But then comes the question of whether you should believe them or not. It could be true, it could be wrong. Also I think its closed now coz I cant find any recent updates. 


I wanna try and live as a good Muslim. Do what Allah expects me to do. But life alone seems such a hard thing! And I certainly wont be one of those fools who get married but then cheat on their wives. I find that utterly disgusting! If you expect answer here then sorry I dont have one. When it comes to religion I myself am pretty confused and full of questions. I read somewhere that if a man is blind, this doesnt mean that Allah has different rules for him. He still has to live like everyone else. Guess that makes it a bit clear doesnt it?



5 comments:

  1. A pretty complex topic indeed. I dont want to comment something that would be derogatory for anyone. But i would like to put 'My Views' here.
    When a child is born he doesnt start chanting verses from Quran, Geeta or Bible..Actually the first word he ever says is 'Ma' which is universal.. it is his upbringing and environment that decides whether he is a Muslim, Hindu or anybody else.

    In a time when people are killed in the name of the religion, we fail to realize is that Baby came first and then a religion was bestowed upon him. So if human life is to be compared with religion then human life will always have a higher priority.

    What is religion??
    In my opinion a religion is a way of living life..and our fore fore fore fathers invented this religion so that the human race is not erased from the planet. Though religion is important to lead a successful life but still there are people on this planet who live in the jungles who do not follow any religion and still lead a successful life.

    God is always always above any religion. He never distinguishes between his people. be it a Hindu, Muslim or some man from the jungle.

    Btw according to a research, "Every 5 to 10% of creatures in a species are homosexual" So it is in our blood.

    And another thing i would like to add is, if God would have asked every human what would you like to be when i send you down, then i am sure nobody would have asked for poverty, death, homosexuality, etc. etc.. which makes his life miserable. So when you say that you don't have a choice of choosing what you become after you are born then it is His wish only that you become a homosexual. It God hated Gays then he would have just made Adam and Eve but the fact that he made Steve testifies that he also likes to be different sometimes.. So enjoy the difference that God has given you..

    Value human life more than anything and lead a life in which you will not be ashamed of yourself,. coz one day everyone has to face God.

    I hope and wish and pray to God that your questions are answered soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems the comment is bigger than the post.. and yes i had more things to say but have to stop now.. And the above mentioned points are my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On religion and homosexuality.....as far as my limited knowledge goes, every religion speaks of declaring lust towards the same gender as a sin...however there is no mention of the feeling of love towards those of the same gender.

    However if I pull society into the matter, which I believe has largely affected every religion since it's creation...is blinded by our sexual frenzy...they fail to see anything beyond tht and therefore outly condemn it and prosecute individuals who practice it! Bt at the sametime I say tht we are partly the blame...it takes two to tango..and since most of us would rather fuck on the dancefloor...the straight population generally fails to see our other civilized side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not have the knowledge of Quran, Bible, Geeta or any other holy scriptures but my personal deal is, there is some divine/heavenly power guiding us all.
    Do i go to church?, Yes i do.
    Do i pray?, Yes i do.

    As far as the scriptures and rituals are concerned, i dont know if its true or not. I like the rituals as its colourful and musical. There was a great hullabulla regarding Dan Brown's book " DaVinci Code", to me, it was just a novel. And i think it will be cool to have blood line of Jesus.

    "Men were ment to ride, with cloud between their knees

    I am only a man,
    looking for special things inside of me."
    (Wide Awake - Superman, Joe McElderry)

    Be yourself, and look for what you want inside of you. Be true to yourself. Its your life, live it on your own terms. Not on some rules written by unknown hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Boi nextdoor....wow, it did feel like i ws reading another blog post ;). From what u said, i gather u arent religious, prolly spiritual?

    @ Phunk....I read it 2 smwhere dat although practicing homosexuality is a sin, there is nothing in Quran bout loving another man. And I dont think lovin sm1 wud b a sin. Dat wont even make sense. The str8 population fails 2 c our civilized side cz just a handful of us are civilized dude. mostly its bout lust.

    @ Derric....Hullabulla bout DaVinci Code? so googling it! :P As for living life on ur own terms, cnt do dat when u r Muslim buddy. Cz our belief is dat the Quran hasnt been modified by unknown ppl over the years. Its still intact as written by Allah. n v gotta live by the rules Allah has set for us in the form of Quran.

    sorry for d late reply peeps! Was having a bz week

    ReplyDelete